Tuesday, March 01, 2005

From Matt

The chemotherapy regimen is as follows: Days 1,2,3-etoposide (VP-16), Day 2-cisplatin, followed by 2.5 weeks of recovery. Side effects include, hair loss, nausea, vomitting, diarhea, hearing loss, low blood pressure, low white blood cells, and other things. The biggest problems are nausea, vomitting, and low blood counts, all can somewhat counteracted with other medications.

So far we have had 2 whole brain radiations and one treatment of etoposide. As I write this Kara is getting the cisplatin and will recieve the second dose of etoposide tonight. So far, so good, but things may change after the cisplatin.

The whole brain radiation will be given every working day for 3 weeks and the chemotherapy will be given for 6 cycles, each cycle is 3 weeks long.

-Matt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that things are going well so far. I ran across a pattern for "chemo caps" the other day, so I went and got some yarn and am knitting them up and hope to send them off by this weekend. As you know kids can throw off your time schedule so I emphasize the word 'hope.' I picked some colors that I figured would look good, but if Kara has some specific requests let me know. Love, Sally

Dee said...

Dear Matt,

Thank you for keeping us informed on Kara. I thank God that He is instructing, teaching; guiding you on the way her treatment should go. Jesus has covered Kara with the best in the medical area. May He be with you, give you daily strength and wisdom. "In all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loves us." Romans 8:37

Thanking Our Lord for You!

Dee
Karen and John's cousin