Monday, August 08, 2005

Surgery on Thursday

Kara's hysterectomy is scheduled for Thursday morning at 7:30 am. She has a round of pre-surgical screening and tests today.

Kara, Matt, and the kids had a wonderful weekend together. They went to Noah's Ark Pool, a recreation center attached to the First United Methodist Church of Houston, on Saturday. There is a really fun wading pool with slides and waterfalls for the toddlers. And then there's the big pool, in which Emma proved herself to be a very strong swimmer and quite brave -- she went down the "big kids'" slide and off the diving board. She must have gone off the diving board about thirty times that morning, and by the end, she was actually getting the hang of diving in rather than jumping feet-first. Luke also went down the big kids' slide, twice, and enjoyed both the wading pool and kicking around in the big one -- have to watch out for him, because he's pretty fearless about stepping off the edge into the pool!



Diving!
Originally uploaded by jeanjean78.



Luke -- Rainbow Slide II
Originally uploaded by jeanjean78.



Noah's Ark Pool III
Originally uploaded by jeanjean78.


On Sunday, Kara and Matt enjoyed going to church and seeing all of their friends there. After lunch, Matt took Luke on a bike ride, and Kara and Matt played games with Emma, who is getting the hang of how to follow the rules (not an easy thing for a three-year old). She wasn't liking Chutes and Ladders (she kept landing on the chutes!), but then she landed on the ladder that took her all the way to the win. I'm sure there's a life lesson there!

Noah's Ark Pool II
Originally uploaded by jeanjean78.


Prayer Requests:
- Please pray that Kara's operation be successful and without complications.
- Please pray for peace and comfort for Kara during this difficult time.
- Please pray that the cancer be permanently eradicated from Kara's body.

"And we know that in all things
God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose."
- Romans 8:28

Thank you for your continued presence in Kara's life -- we are all touched to hear from people who have been reading about Kara and praying for her without having even met her, and we appreciate that so much. We appreciate everyone's prayers and encouraging words.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pool pictures--my sister and I used to spend hours at the local pool every summer! Hope that all the tests go well today and don't wear you out too much. Talk to you soon!
Love,
Leslie

Dee said...

God Bless You Jean for this awesome update on Kara, Matt, Emma and Luke - everyone looks GREAT!!!!I can plainly see Emma loves her Aunt Jean! Not sure my children would have jumped off the diving board to me!?! So thankful you inherited your Granddad's gift of pictures! What a blessing as we see these happy times. I'm still praying I can be as slim as Kara! How wonderful for the church to have such a fun park for families.

Kara, we are continually praying for you; praising Jesus. So thankful Doc is an expert in this area. A preacher said the other day that God takes our prayers and stacks them up as monuments in Heaven. The prayers going up for you; your family are the biggest monuments there!!!!!!!
This verse has inspired me; given me much comfort, strength throughout my life. I pray it will be all of this and more to you:
Fear not; for I am with Kara;
Be not dismayed; for I am your God.
I will strengthen you.
I will help you.
I will uphold you
with the right hand
of my righteousness!
Isaiah 41:10

Anonymous said...

Kara, The PET scan results are so very, very wonderful but Mom said immediately - "well I am not surprised - Kara said that if I would keep on praying - she would keep on getting well." Clarine Folmar and her determined Christian prayer chain!
Noah's Ark pictures are delightful.
All of us in New Braunfels are with you all the way - now through the surgery and all the success waiting when it is completed. We love you and pray for you continuously. Gem

Anonymous said...

Dear Kara, Matt, and family,
We do stay posted on your progress and of course you are always in our prayers. There will be extra prayers on Thursday asking for the success of your surgery and a full recovery. May God hold you in the palm of his hand.
Much love, Aunt Mary Margaret and family.

Anonymous said...

I worked with Dr. Kelly (Kara's dad) for many years @ Freeman Hospital in Joplin, he was one of the nicest physicians I ever worked with. I was SO sad to hear about Kara's illness, even though I have never met her. Dr. Kelly was always so much a family man and cared so deeply about all his children, my heart goes out, not only to Kara and her family, but to the entire family. Kara is always in my thoughts and prayers even though this is the first time I have been able to log on and post this message, she has been on my mind for many months!! I will continue to follow her progress through this website and continue to pray for her daily. Keep the faith Kara! (thank you Jean!)