Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Tests Next Week

Kara went in to the hospital yesterday to have some bloodwork done -- a blood sample was taken and she was given a shot for her red blood cells. As she was nauseated while she was there, they kept her for awhile and hydrated her with IV fluids. Her oncologist's nurse says that Kara is doing really well on a very tough regimen.

Kara will have several tests performed next week. The first one is a new test called an OctreoScan ( http://www.msit.com/qap_oct.html ). It is not used very often, and is very specific to the type of cancer Kara has, as it detects a subtance called somatostatin, of which neuroendocrine tumors have a high density. That test will be started on May 18 and completed on May 19. She will also have a PET Scan and CT Scan on the May 19.

It also looks likely that sometime before her next round of chemo, she will have what remains of the tumor in her liver removed by radiofrequency ablation therapy, which works like a microwave to heat the tumor up to the point it is destroyed. She has a doctor's appointment on Monday to determine when the procedure will be done. It is an out-patient procedure. When we know more, we will let you know.

Next week will be a big week for Kara, and will hopefully bring good news.

Prayer Requests
- Please pray for the swift reduction in Kara's side effects.
- Please pray for positive test results next week.
- Please pray that Kara feels comforted and reassured by God's sustaining love and peace.
- Please pray that the treatment eradicates the cancer from Kara's body, permanently.

Thank you for your prayers and words of love and encouragement.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kara, What a wonderfully competent medical team you have! I know that you and your family are so very thankful to be near the finest medical team for your condition anywhere in the universe.

We are all faithfully praying for your continued restoration to the marvelous, normal healthy Kara.

Love, Gem

Anonymous said...

Dear Kara, I'm so glad to know that you got some IV meat and potatoes today at last and some help for the nausea not to mention for the red cells. What a recovery week you've had and it probably seems like a lot longer with all you've been dealing with. Hopefully the treatment is doing much worse horrible things to the tumors, although to you it's hard to believe it could be much worse. I can't even imagine going through what you've been experiencing for 4 rounds now. We think of you all day at our office and pray constantly for your ongoing return to complete health- totally tumor free and back to full strength and wonderful health. Your ability to handle your situation with such grace and faith and determination give all of us an incredible hope and knowledge that the treatments are working, that your medical team and especially your physicians are truly being led to a specific cure through the medicines and the timing and constellations of chemo agents and their programmed activities. Kara, you are so special to us and we are with you in thoughts and ongoing prayers every minute of the day and night. Please know that you are enveloped in a wonderful healing atmosphere of His love and care. Much love, Aunt Betsy

Anonymous said...

Kara, I hope this scripture comforts you during this time. Our prayers will be with you during all your tests and procedures next week. I pray the nausea passes soon. You are very special and dear to us.

Psalm 118:1-8,13-21
"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.
Let Israel say: "His love endures forever." Let the house of Aaron say: "His love endures forever."
"Let those who fear the Lord say: "His love endures forever."
In my anguish I cried to the Lord, and he answered by setting me free. The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? The Lord is with me; he is my helper. I will look in triumph on my enemies. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man....I was pushed back and about to fall, but the Lord helped me. The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.
Shouts of joy and victory resound in the tents of the righteous: "The Lord 's right hand has done mighty things! The Lord's right hand is lifted high; the Lord's right hand has done mighty things!" I will not die but live, and will proclaim what the Lord has done. The Lord has chastened me severely, but he has not given me over to death. Open for me the gates of righteousness; I will enter and give thanks to the Lord.
This is the gate of the Lord through which the righteous may enter. I will give you thanks, for you answered me; you have become my salvation.
Love, Janice

Anonymous said...

Dear Kara, It sounds like you will have a very busy week. Just wanted to say hello, and hang in there girl! Praying for you! Love Laura F.